Personal Injury Attorneys For Slip-And-Fall Victims
Slip-and-fall accidents are among the most common premises liability cases. Property owners or occupiers have a duty to take all reasonable actions to keep guests and invitees safe on their premises. This duty includes a duty to repair faulty or uneven walking surfaces, to maintain handrails where necessary and to ensure all walking areas have proper lighting. A property owner or occupier also has a duty to perform routine inspections of the premises to ensure hazards, such as water or another substance on the floor, are spotted and removed. When property owners neglect this duty, serious injuries may result, such as spine and brain injury.
The slip-and-fall lawyers at the McArthur Law Firm are not afraid to fight on behalf of our clients. We have a history of success in handling tough premises liability cases, both in and out of the courtroom. If you believe someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, we may be able to help you get compensation. Call our personal injury law firm today to find out how we can fight for you.
Common Causes Of Slip And Falls
The most common causes of slip and falls include:
- Spills or puddles
- Narrow or broken steps
- Loose or missing railings
- Uncovered drops or holes (such as at construction sites)
- Uneven or broken walking surfaces
- Loose rugs or carpeting
- Poor lighting in a stairwell
- Clutter or debris in a walkway
- Weather hazards, such as rain accumulation, at a store entrance; and,
- Building safety code violations
While property owners have duties to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe manner, visitors to the property also have a duty to take reasonable precautions to stay safe. If a visitor acts recklessly and is injured, the property owner cannot always be held accountable for the damages. A premises liability case for a slip-and-fall accident depends on whether or not the property owner knew (or should have known) about a potential hazard and whether or not they took reasonable steps to prevent the injury or warn their customers about it.
Common Slip-And-Fall Injuries
Injuries that result from slip and falls can often be severe and debilitating. Injuries are often worse for children and the elderly because they are less able to break or recover from a fall. However, individuals of any age and physical ability can be seriously hurt in a fall. The most common slip-and-fall injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury. Brain injuries can result even if your head does not hit anything hard when you fall. Serious concussions or other injuries can have lifelong effects.
- Spinal cord injury. A fall can cause slipped or broken disks as well as permanent paralysis as a result of a spine injury.
- Fractures and broken bones. Hip and wrist fractures are especially common in elderly slip-and-fall victims.
- Shoulder injuries. A broken or torn shoulder is a common consequence of people trying to roll out of a fall.
- Knee injuries. Especially common in trip-and-fall accidents, knee injuries can take months to heal and can permanently affect your ability to walk.
- Torn tendons, ligaments or muscles. A torn muscle can be just as serious as a broken bone, and can be even more difficult to treat.
Need Help After A Fall Injury? Call For A Free Consultation.
If you fell and were injured on public or private property, one of our slip-and-fall lawyers may be able to help. We can investigate your fall to determine if the property owner’s negligence is to blame. If so, we will fight for your right to compensation for your injuries, all the way to the courtroom if necessary.
Our attorneys represent clients nationwide as well as those who live closer to Macon and Atlanta. Contact us online or call our personal injury law firm today at 478-238-1150to schedule your free initial consultation.