McArthur Law Firm is open at this time; however, to protect your safety and that of our employees during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we are offering video and telephone conferencing in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office for your free consultation.
Nationwide Legal Advocates Fighting Against Elder Abuse And Neglect
Relatives place a great deal of trust in the people that provide daily care to loved ones in nursing homes. That is what makes nursing home abuse so personal, not only to the victim, but also to the victim’s family. Tragically, all too often our elderly relatives do not receive the respect, care and decency that is their right. As experienced nursing home abuse attorneys in Macon and Atlanta, our law firm has the resources and capability to look into allegations of elder abuse and neglect.
Elder abuse investigations can be complicated. The McArthur Law Firm will fight to protect your family’s rights so you have every opportunity to hold those who wronged your loved one accountable. We work nationwide and statewide, representing residents living in nursing homes located in or from Atlanta, Columbus and Augusta. We also serve Albany, Savannah and other Georgia cities in and around Macon. We offer a free initial consultation on all cases. Call 478-238-6600 to speak with a compassionate lawyer.
What is Elder Abuse and Neglect? Nursing Home Abuse Legal Definition
When nursing homes are understaffed, when employees are untrained and overworked, when facilities fail to perform adequate background checks and monitoring of staff members, nursing home abuse and neglect can occur. Signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Emotional abuse, verbal abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse
- Nursing negligence
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Burns, cuts, open wounds and bruises
- Medication errors, such as over-sedation or improper dosage
- Inadequate hygiene, failure to change linens or clothing
- Bowel impactions
- Financial exploitation
Nationwide Nursing Home Neglect and Elder Abuse Statistics
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), 20 percent of the United States population is expected to be comprised of people 65 years old and older by 2050. In addition, the NCEA reports that the fastest growing population in this country is people 85 years old and older.
Unfortunately, as a result of the continued growth of America’s elder population, instances of nursing home abuse and neglect may be set to rise as well. This is terrifying, considering current elder abuse statistics:
- It is estimated that among Americans age 65 and older, between one and two million have been the victim of elder abuse at the hands of someone they depended on for protection and/or care. (NCEA)
- On average, not including incidents of self-neglect, only one out of every 14 cases of elder abuse in domestic settings is reported to authorities. Including both domestic and institutional settings, for every incident of elder abuse reported, there are five more that go unreported. (NCEA)
- According to estimates, annually, five million or more elders are financial abuse victims in the US. It is also estimated that as few as one out of every 25 cases of financial abuse among elders is reported to authorities. (NCEA)
Who Can Sue for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
In many cases, nursing home abuse victims are unable to be the driving force behind an elder abuse lawsuit. Those who experience elder abuse in nursing homes were often targeted for the very mental and physical limitations that make it difficult for them to pursue legal assistance. While elders can sue for nursing home abuse and neglect, due to their limitations, their loved ones often pursue legal action following these incidents.
Why Do I Need a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney?
We are a trial law firm, and while we are more than capable of negotiating a settlement, we do not hesitate to take our clients’ cases to trial if that is what is in their best interests. Other ways that the Georgia personal injury lawyers at the McArthur Law Firm serve their nursing home abuse and neglect clients include:
- Preventing nursing homes from blocking access to or hiding evidence and important information;
- Conducting a thorough and aggressive investigation of the incident, including collecting photographic evidence, reviewing security footage, interviewing witnesses, gathering and reviewing documentation related to the business and its practices and investigating any employees involved;
- Having medical experts review your family member’s medical records, pinpoint the cause of his or her injuries and calculate what it will cost for your loved one to live with his or her injuries going forward;
- Negotiating a fair settlement or taking the case to trial in court;
- Preventing abuse and neglect from occurring to other innocent people in the future.
Find a Macon Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in GA
The Georgia personal injury lawyers at the McArthur Law Firm have successfully advised injury victims and their families as they make what often prove to be some of the most important decisions of their lives. You can read or watch our client testimonials about their experiences working with our Georgia attorneys. Our fee percentages are also the same as the fees of inadequate or untrained lawyers in this field. You get more money when you hire the best, but you pay the same percentage of attorneys’ fees.
We do not give up until we receive a fair settlement offer, or we take the case to trial. To learn more about elder abuse or to set up a free consultation with a nursing home abuse attorney at the McArthur Law Firm, call us directly at 478-238-6600 or fill out our online contact form. We practice nationwide.