McArthur Law Firm is open at this time; however, to protect your safety and that of our employees during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we are offering video and telephone conferencing in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office for your free consultation.
What to Do After a Car Crash
Car Wreck Lawyer Explains What Steps To Take
The moments immediately following a car crash are often crucial when it comes to filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. However, it may be difficult to know what to do in the confusion following a collision. As a result, valuable evidence and witness testimony may be lost. Below, a car wreck attorney from our law firm explains the steps you should take after a crash to protect your rights.
Even if you have strong evidence and believe you have a straightforward car crash claim, you should still get advice from a lawyer after a wreck. The attorneys at the McArthur Law Firm have 200 years of combined experience helping victims get compensation for their car crash injuries. We stand up for victims’ rights and never back down from a fight. Thus, we have been able to obtain many successful verdicts and settlements for personal injury clients across Georgia and nationwide.
What Should I Do After a Car Crash in Georgia?
After any kind of motor vehicle accident, your first priority should be getting emergency care for yourself and/or others involved. If there are serious car crash injuries, call 911 to get police and an ambulance at the scene right away. Otherwise, follow these steps after an accident:
- File a police report. You should always file a police report after a car crash in Georgia or anywhere. Give the officer your side of the story as completely and honestly as possible. This report will be valuable evidence in any car insurance claim and/or personal injury lawsuit you file.
- Take pictures. Documenting a crash is usually easy, thanks to cell phones. Be sure to take pictures or even a video of the whole scene, including injuries and damage to your vehicle. Pictures help with accident reconstruction and verify any claims you make.
- Get the other driver’s information. You should always take down the other driver’s name, phone number and insurance information, even though the insurance company may call you first.
- Get information from witnesses. If anyone nearby witnessed the crash, it is a good idea to get their names and phone numbers, too. Your car wreck lawyer may contact them later for their testimony.
- DO NOT admit fault. After a wreck, it is natural for many people to apologize, even if the other person was clearly at fault. However, insurance companies will use even such a small statement against you.
- Get medical attention. Even if you feel fine, you should get checked at the emergency room or by your own doctor as soon as possible. If you wait, the insurance company may deny the seriousness of your claim.
- Call a lawyer before you speak to the other driver’s insurance company. A lawyer can handle your claim for you and fight back against notoriously pushy insurance companies.
Do I Need a Lawyer to File an Insurance Claim After a Georgia Car Wreck?
After a car crash in Georgia, you will likely file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider. Many people assume that insurance companies exist to help accident victims with their medical bills and expenses. However, these companies are interested in protecting their own interests, not yours. They have teams of legal experts who work hard to minimize or deny your claim. Additionally, insurance adjusters may call you soon after a crash to pressure you into accepting a low offer before you know the extent of your injuries.
Therefore, you should never speak to an insurance adjuster without calling a car wreck lawyer first. An experienced car crash attorney can ensure that the insurance company offers you a fair settlement. If they refuse, a lawyer can assist you in filing a personal injury lawsuit instead. Your attorney may also be able to use evidence like black box information and crash reconstruction to help you prove your case. If applicable, you may even be able to collect punitive damages, with the help of legal counsel.
Hurt in a Crash? Get a Free Review with an Experienced Car Wreck Lawyer
After a car accident, you may have questions about what you should do next. If so, call a car wreck lawyer from our law firm. We offer free consultations, and we will answer your questions at no cost. If it is in your best interest, we can give you advice on how to file an insurance claim yourself. For more serious injuries and crashes, we offer experienced, professional representation.
We stand up to pushy insurance companies on behalf of our clients, and we always prepare for a tough fight. We have offices in Macon and Atlanta, but we accept car crash cases throughout Georgia and nationwide. Contact us online or call our office to schedule a free initial consultation today.