Accidents involving 18-wheelers are commonly more devastating to the victims of these accidents. Due to the massive size of a commercial truck, passengers of standard vehicles see much more severe injuries compared to collisions between vehicles of the same size. The cost of recovering from these accidents might come with a more massive bill than you would expect.
The number of truck accidents has been increasing over recent years. More and more victims realize the full cost of these accidents, and they need to fight for the compensation that reflects these costs.
Ways an accident can cost you
There are multiple ways an accident can cost someone after an accident. While some costs may seem obvious, others do not. High costs of accidents include:
- Medical expenses: the current and future medical expenses of an accident can cost a victim hundreds of thousands of dollars over a lifetime. While the initial costs may seem intimidating, the future costs of therapy, medical equipment, and surgeries can cost just as much or more.
- Loan payments: when an accident totals a car, the owner will need to continue any monthly payments. While it may not seem to make any sense, a car owner is still responsible for the costs of a loan that they may have.
- Towing: a damaged vehicle that cannot drive will need to make its way to a repair shop in any case. The cost of towing a car is an expense that many crash victims do not plan for.
- Repairs: depending on the severity of the accident and its damage, repairs can cost thousands of dollars or more.
- Rentals: renting a vehicle to replace a totaled car can cost a victim considerably, depending on how long they need to rent a replacement.
- Property replacement: items inside the vehicle, like phones or laptops, can cost hundreds of dollars to replace, and you may never be able to recover the data. Other items may have a sentimental value that you cannot replace at all.
These are only some of the costs that come with an accident. If a victim wants to protect their best interests, they should speak with a personal injury attorney to pursue fair compensation for every expense of their accident.
Consider the costs
Trucking accidents come with a slew of hidden fees and costs for the victim. Knowing what expenses to look out for prepares a victim to earn compensation that is fair and just.