Getting You The Compensation You Deserve

Group Photo

Being hit by flying objects from trucks is still an accident

On Behalf of | Apr 13, 2020 | Car Accidents, Truck Accidents |

Flying debris, unsecured cargo, sticks or rocks can create significant damage to your car and even your person. They can get kicked up by spinning tires, tossed out windows or fly off the top of a truck on the highway. Even the smallest pebble can create a serious crack in your windshield and make your heart race.

While you can try to avoid objects that catch air, sometimes it’s impossible. Sometimes, truck drivers don’t clear off the tops of their trucks or properly secure cargo before getting on the highway, creating significant hazards for those behind them.

What if cargo or debris flies out of a truck in front of me?

If the truck driver doesn’t properly secure their cargo and it flies out of the bed of their truck, hitting your car or creating a collision, the driver may be liable. However, sometimes that driver doesn’t know they created an accident or simply doesn’t stop. In this case, your personal insurance may need to cover the damages.

What if a truck kicks up debris on the road and hits me?

Debris like sticks, rocks or tire pieces can be difficult for drivers to spot and avoid, especially in large vehicles like trucks. If you were hit by debris that was stirred up by tires in front of you, the party responsible for keeping roadways clean may be liable. Georgia often classifies these incidents as “road defect accidents” and you may be able to file a claim with the government to get compensation. On a city road, you must file within 6 months of the accident. On a state highway, you have one year, and on a federal road, you can file within 2 years.

If you are hit by objects in the road or from another vehicle, get the information of the vehicle involved if possible. If you can’t get the name of the driver or license plate of the truck, you should still talk with an attorney. Depending on the situation, you may be able to seek compensation.