According to police, drivers in Georgia are unaware of some of the state’s traffic laws. So, if you get pulled over, and you don’t know why, you could have broken one of the following laws that police say many drivers seem not to know exist:
1. You can be pulled over for going the speed limit.
Georgia passed the “Slowpoke Law” requiring drivers in the left lane on a highway, interstate or expressway to move over if a faster car approaches them. You can’t linger in the left lane, even if you’re doing the speed limit.
2. A driver must move over one lane for assistance vehicles and garbage trucks.
Under Georgia’s “Move-Over Law,” drivers must change lanes for emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road, including police vehicles, emergency response vans, and garbage trucks.
3. Drivers are prohibited for using the center lane to merge into traffic.
The center lane can only be used for making a left turn. Drivers should not use the center lane to drive in for a turn unless they are within 300 feet from where they want to turn.
4. You cannot wear headphones while driving.
It’s illegal to wear headphones in both of your ears. You can, however, wear a headphone in one ear.
5. Your vehicle’s tag must be completely visible.
Drivers cannot cover their tags with illegal frames or covers. Before you buy a tag frame or cover, make sure it will not illegally obstruct the view of the tag.
6. You have to turn your headlights on in the rain.
Often people will rely on their automatic lights when it’s raining, but those do not turn on the rear lights as well. The front and rear lights must be on when it’s raining.
7. Not only is it illegal to text while driving, it’s illegal to text while in a vehicle, even if the vehicle is stopped.
Because the law does not specify if the vehicle must be moving, drivers should also refrain from texting when stopped at a traffic light. If you have been a victim of a car accident, contact The McArthur Law Firm today to schedule a free initial consultation. Call us toll-free at 1-888-WE FIGHT, or contact us online. At the McArthur Law Firm, we fight for you.
The McArthur Law Firm – Georgia Car Accident Attorneys