Fall has arrived and so have the deer. The Georgia Department of Transportation says around 50,000 wrecks per year are caused by deer.
So what can you do to avoid a deer-vehicle collision? Most importantly, be more aware of your surroundings.
The fall months have the highest numbers of vehicle crashes with deer, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation, because those are the peak breeding months.
To minimize your chances of hitting a deer when driving this fall, remember to:
- Watch for more deer if you spot one. Deer are pack animals and generally travel together. If a deer crosses your path, chances are there are more nearby.
- Timing is important. Deer are most active at dusk and dawn: times when your vision is most limited. To add to the bad timing, deer are on the move during mating season when you’re more likely to travel after sunset. Drive slower than usual and be alert, especially after dark.
- Buckle up. It may not prevent a collision, but if a collision happens, a seat belt can reduce injuries. This is particularly true if you lose control and collide with something larger, and more stationary than a deer.
- Stay the course. If you see a deer, brake firmly yet calmly, and remain in your lane. Swerving could make you lose control and turn a bad situation even worse. Furthermore, deer are unpredictable, and you could swerve directly into their changed path.
- Honk! Some experts say that one long blast of the horn will startle the deer to get them to run out of the road.
Macon car accident attorney Kathy McArthur, founder of the McArthur Law Firm, brings more than 35 years of experience and a long record of successful results. Our practice is comprised of litigation, with a significant percentage devoted to car crashes, truck wrecks and motor vehicle liability. Call 1-888-WE-FIGHT to discuss your car wreck with an experienced Georgia attorney today. We serve all the major cities of Georgia. If outside of Georgia, call our nationwide car accident hot line at (478) 796-9380.
McArthur Law Firm – Macon Car Accident Attorneys